Cursor by nuthinbutnet.net

Just another day in the life of a public servant

Thursday, August 18, 2005

I love Edvard Munch




I've been told that if I'd stop listening to dark and depressing music I might be less depressed. What? Is there supposed to be some correlation between what you listen to and your frame of mind?

Well, maybe.

But I happen to like like dark things. I love to wear black, watch dark movies, and listen to moody music. Can't help it.

And while I'm on the subject of depression, do you think Edvard Munch could have benefited from some SSRI Anti-Depressants? I think so. But if he had been properly medicated with Paxil, I doubt he would have created such wonderful paintings. Probably he would have gone for cheerful sunflowers and sappy meadow landscapes, and then the world would never have been exposed to one of the more famous depictions of all-out anxiety: "The Scream", or otherwise known as "The Cry".

Let me quote from a web site dedicated to Munch: Norwegian painter and printmaker whose intense, evocative treatment of psychological and emotional themes was a major influence on the development of German Expressionism in the early 20th century. His painting The Cry (1893) is regarded as an icon of existential anguish. That just about says it all, if you ask me.

I just love this genre of painting. What kind of a mind came up with this material? I'll bet he wasn't very popular as a child. I'll even hazard a guess that his parents stood outside his closed bedroom door constantly yelling "Hey! You've been locked in your room for hours! What are you doing in there?". I'll bet he wore a lot of black, too.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:24 AM, Blogger FRITZ said…

    I also borrowed Munch on my site, and I think you're admiration of his art is one that speaks of how important art is...to see our daily burdens expressed so characteristically by art is validating and redeeming. Munch's work was important.
    I have often wondered if famous artists would have benefitted from the assistance of anti-depressants, or, in Jimi Hendrix's case, if remaining sober would have made him a better artist.
    However, there is a theory by Kirkegaard (an Austrian philosopher) that the artist HAS to remain tortured, or else the expression of art would never manifest itself.
    So, in closing, those of us who appreciate the darkness are also the same people who can identify the importance of the light. There can't be one without the other. So, you go ahead and listen to your dark music and dark movies and dark art. Because I gaurantee you love to plant things and watch them emerge in the light.

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Blogger kitty said…

    Very true. Polarity in art is an expression of humanity's existence. I happen to be drawn to darkness in symbolization and artistry, while in real life I thrive on growth and beauty. I'm content when I plant my herbs and annuals every year and celebrate the emergence of light and pulchritude.

     
  • At 11:42 PM, Blogger FRITZ said…

    Pulchritude. You are such a suck-up in the vocab. Is it copious pulchritude? What about a blanching of pulchritude? Or a veritable rush of unhinged beauty?

    Okay: here goes, smarty pants:
    Pulchritude comes from the latin pulchra, f., adjective: beautiful. And no, I didn't look that up. I actually remembered it from four years of Latin.

    Am I simply being bellicose ROOT: (latin: f. [bella, bellae] war), or puerile ROOT (latin: m. [puer, pueri] boy)? Or just plain repugnant ROOT: (latin: m. [pugil, pugnare] boxer, fight)?

    Who said latin was exparte, I mean, a dead language? And who dares to say I'm a dork?

     
  • At 11:44 AM, Blogger kitty said…

    You're cracking me up. I love big, ostentatious words. You picked one of my favorites:, puerile.

    Besides, I studied for the MAT and it's all about words and analogies-synonyms, antonyms and such. There were words that I attempted to memorize that Tony Randall wouldn't even know.

    And my homepage is set for Dictionary.com.

     
  • At 11:24 PM, Blogger Andi said…

    Is "The Scream" still missing???? It had been stolen from a museum a while back.
    Andrea

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Please, someone with disposable income. Give me a school grant so I can go to law school!