Cursor by nuthinbutnet.net

Just another day in the life of a public servant

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

How I became a public servant

Good question. Was it for the fame? For the money? (ha!) For the thrill of working with criminals on a daily basis? For the cool uniforms? No, in fact, I did it because it's a fun job. Or was at first, anyway. And I get to carry a Glock, wear a badge and arrest people on occasion. Really, not a bad job.

I also work with great people and am constantly amused by the stupid things people do. (i.e-see story below) The story of the guy dropping his drugs on the counter right in front of me is the best story I've heard so far, and in fact made me slightly famous, but there have been other noteworthy anecdotes.

Example, one of my fellow cohorts was arresting one of her offenders, and before the police came to take him away, he burst into tears and begged her to "hold" his marijuana before the police came. "Police? Who do you think you're talking to? I am the police!" Maybe he failed to notice the intimidating gun.

But I digress.

While I was still in college, I interned in the local probation office and had so much fun, I decided that when I graduated, I would make probation my number one career choice. And, after a couple of years, a stint with a private company, and a lift on the state hiring freeze, I found myself in the exciting field of law enforcement. Guns! Handcuffing! Onerous hours in the courtroom waiting to testify! Cute cops in uniform! What more could you ask for?

3 Comments:

  • At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You and I are in the same sinking boat straight to hell!!! :)

    Ode to our college degree: "would you like an apple pie w/that?"

    MB

     
  • At 6:52 AM, Blogger FRITZ said…

    How could anyone be so disgruntled and disenchanted with this rewarding work?

    Why, besides the tiny badge and the plastic weapon, there are many other satisfying and nurturing aspects to our jobs!

    For example, how many times can a banker say: "My, this client of mine is using methamphetamine again!" Or a politician, upon hearing the news that a fellow lobbyist is in jail, "How much money do I have to pay to get him out?"
    Oh, wait. On that last one, I'm sure it happens quite a bit.

    The rewards, my friends, of public servitude are greater than the pay. Far, far, far greater. Many things are greater than the pay.

    No, really. I'm very happy with my job. Thanks for asking...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Please, someone with disposable income. Give me a school grant so I can go to law school!