Cursor by nuthinbutnet.net

Just another day in the life of a public servant

Friday, August 05, 2005

manolo blahniks

Tell me the truth: Am I insane for buying a pair of Manolo Blahniks? I think so, sometimes, but as Carrie says in Sex in the City, a woman has a right to shoes. Everyone at work thinks I'm nuts. They look at me askance and shake their heads, but I think secretly wish they could wear a pair of 4 inch stilletto heels. This is goofy, but sometimes I put on a leather mini skirt and the shoes and just wear them both around the house.

Now, my footwear obsession started when my best friend came into town for a visit and she forced me to get a pedicure. Then she forced me to go to Neiman Marcus to look at shoes. They were on sale. Really. I tried on a beautiful pair of Prada stillettos, which I considered. Then I saw THE PAIR. A pair of shiny, black patent leather Mary Jane's. Made by Kate Spade. Somehow, somehow, they would be mine.

Actually, making them mine was very easily accomplished. I just signed up for a Neiman Marcus credit card, and voilĂ , the Kate Spades were placed in a pretty Neiman Marcus bag and taken home, to fondle and wear whenever I chose. Ahh, almost better than sex.

This pair was satisfying, for a while. I loved strolling around in my beautiful shoes, in the knowledge that they cost more than most people make in a day.

But then, one day, I went to Neiman Marcus, innocently enough, just to shop for umm, well, stuff. And, oh, no. The shoes were on sale. And then, I noticed a pair of Yves St. Laurent orange sandels. And I NEED a pair of sandals. Orange. To match this really killer summer dress that I bought to wear out for special occasions. So really, it's something I need, not just want. So I whipped out the old trusty card and next thing I know, I'm the proud owner of two pair of outrageously priced designer shoes.

So a few months later, I've paid off my card, and with the happy knowledge that I have a zero balance, I find some plausible excuse to go shopping again. This time I hit the motherlode. Neiman's has pair after pair of beautiful shoes. And this time, I lost my mind. I bought the king daddy, creme de le creme, a pair of Manolo Blahnik black wrap sandals. And I even convinced myself for a brief time that I was going to sell them on Ebay and actually make a profit. But somehow, I never got around to it.

But you know, at this point, I'm starting to think that buying a great pair of shoes once or twice a year isn't such a bad thing. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are an investment, unless you could stretch and say it's an investment in self-esteem, but I no longer feel bad about buying these absurdly priced shoes. And you know what? My balance is getting close to zero again, and I'm starting to think it's about time for a trip to Buckhead again for a little self-esteem, I mean, shoe shopping.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger FRITZ said…

    Shoes are the topping to a well-made cake, except you wear them on the bottom. Shoes that are outrageously priced sing to us of times we may never have...dances on a cruise ship, rides on Le Metropolitan, drinks on top of the Sears building. Expensive shoes are like glistening, sparkling candies dripping off of Christmas trees. They are exotic. They remind us that every woman has the right to feel beautiful, ridiculously elegant, and dominant. Shoes with skinny high heels remind men that no matter what they can do and accomplish in a lifetime, they will never be able to walk around on stilts and still look fabulous.
    Buy some self-esteem. You deserve those Malano's and Spade's.

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger kitty said…

    thank you, darlin'

     
  • At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Shoes, shoes, and shoes. What more do women want?...well there's money, influence, good sex, and independance...but shoes are almost as good as all of that!

    So, do you ever walk around in JUST the miniskirt and heels?

    And, why isn't there a picture of you pedicured feet in these shoes on this blog?!

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Blogger kitty said…

    Answer to the first question is: Of course. The answer to the second question is: good idea. I'm on it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Please, someone with disposable income. Give me a school grant so I can go to law school!