Cursor by nuthinbutnet.net

Just another day in the life of a public servant

Saturday, May 05, 2007

All work makes Jill a dull girl


I've noticed this habit I've developed. It's called "Work your butt off until you're burnt out" syndrome. Since I've started my new job 15 months ago, I've done things I never thought I would do. Example: Work 14 hour days. If someone had told me I'd routinely work 9,10, 11 or even 12 hour days before I started, I would have laughed and told them, "no way". But week after week, I don't go home until after dark. And that includes in the summer time. Last Thursday, I started work at 8:30 AM and didn't get home until 1:30 AM. Most of the time, I don't really mind. But sometimes I get worn out with devoting this much time and effort into my career. I just hope it works out for me. I've noticed working this much, and devoting this much mental energy into my work isn't as fulfilling as it used to be. For one thing, my buddy George now works downtown at the Central office, and isn't around to pal around with much anymore. Another thing, I've noticed I push aside alot of things in my life for my work, which includes socializing with my old buddies. This has got to stop. And as I mentioned before, I don't work out much anymore, and I hate that. Again, I've got to stop. One of the reasons I worked so much last Thursday is because I went out in the field that day. I've got a plan: Get most of my field work done in the beginning of the month, so the rest of the month I can do other stuff. Maybe even leave at 4:30 occasionally so I can hit the gym once or twice a week.


Other than I'm tired, in need of a vacation, and miss working out, everything is going well. We were on our way to Mississippi (gambling weekend, free hotel!), and since we were driving right through Huntsville, we stopped in at Redstone Arsenal, where she's stationed. I saw her for about 15 minutes, but that made me happy. Naturally, I forgot my camera, so no pictures are available.




4 Comments:

  • At 8:36 AM, Blogger JR said…

    Are you a corrections officer? I worked for two years at TCF in Kansas, and I know first hand all the hours a place like that can suck out of you. I'd work the 6a-2p shift, and often stay on for the 2p-10p shift.

    The money is good, but like you said, your social life suffers. Cheers for looking for the balance!

     
  • At 6:47 PM, Blogger kitty said…

    I'm a parole officer. I don't do shift work, unless we go out on an arrest sweep. But I do tend to work long days.

    Thanks for the kudos.

     
  • At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hang in there. You'll find your balance in the midst of the chaos. You might consider a good time management course to help you prioritize and balance your tasks.

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    By the way, you're really HOT!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Please, someone with disposable income. Give me a school grant so I can go to law school!